Since we certainly want our parents to be cheering (and not coaching) from the sidelines, here are some of our best soccer phrases to help you sound like you hold a Professional “A” Fans badge (no such thing exists…but anyway). You’ll note that all of these phrases are reactionary to something that happened and not instructional in what should be happening. This is the distinct difference between cheering and coaching from the sidelines:
- Wow! That was an awesome through ball
- Well played, (insert player name here)!
- That was an excellently flighted ball. Bravo!
- Amazing! That was a perfectly weighted ball!
- Great teamwork, (insert team name)!
- Amazing save, (insert keepers name). You looked like (choose one: Tim Howard, Javier Casillas) on that one
- What a move! (choose one: Ronaldo, Xabi, Kaka, Messi) couldn’t have pulled that
- Great vision – is (insert player name) wearing X-ray goggles out there?
Avoid sounding like an idiot by removing these sayings from your soccer vocabulary:
- Boom it!
- Kick it!
- Just wait until the ninth inning!
What are some of your favorite sayings – both smart and ridiculously dumb?