Soccer Skill: Agility
As a foundation for agility, the ability to land safely and effectively is a critical skill to be mastered. Being able to land competentlywhen jumping different distances, heights and angles can significantly reduce risk of injury whilst providing a solid base for rapid direction changes and deceleration. Freeze jump is a simple game that can be played with players of all ages to help them develop their landing competence.
- Number of Players: Any
- Equipment: None
- Time: 5-10mins
- Players work individually or in pairs, standing facing a target on the floor approximately 1yd away.
- The target can be anything such as a cone, a line, an agility ring, provided it will not slip if accidently landed on!
- The aim is to jump and land as close to the target as possible without actually touching it with your toes, freezing in the landing position.
- Both feet should land at same time, ball of foot hitting slightly before heels to freeze with full foot in contact with floor.
- Hips sit back, knees bend (in line with toes) and shoulders come forward to absorb force of landing.
- Landing should be soft and quiet
- Increase the jumping distance (up to equal with standing height)
- Jump sideways towards target
- Start facing side on and turn in air to land facing forwards
- Add a skill to perform after landing eg head a ball back to partner, control ball on chest and volley/pass back.
Tell The Team: (Remember - stay focused)
- Focus on quality of landing
- Soft and quiet is better than long and loud!
Volunteer Idea #5: More Coaches will find Soccer Classroom if you post a link on your website. Share the love and give us a link
Rate This Article
Please tell us about your experience with this article: successes, modifications, failures, things you told your players that seemed to trigger a positive response. Help your fellow coaches!